Nerd-out Explanation: REBT is in my view superior to modern CBT (Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, not Cock n’ Ball Torture, don’t search, I wish I hadn’t). Modern CBT blames the patient for having emotions/being human and tries to suppress undesirable ones with unreasonable faux rationalizations and requests e.g. in a nutshell: mantras, think happy thoughts. It functions to make the patient worse by a suppression/explosion cycle (aka relapse) and keep psychologists cashing big fat checks for the lifetime of ‘service’.
REBT examines and picks over the false belief system EVERYONE to some extent (more pervasive in the mentally ill) has and how these inform our perceptions of the world. When conflicting with reality (instead of acting as a natural means of intrinsic support), those false beliefs cause acute (curable) symptoms of mental illness, most commonly the umbrella term depression.
Without further ado, here is REBT roughly applied or translated to real-world examples of psychological perceptual problems stereotypical to my generation, Generation Y (do I have to pay so much).
- Without a 4.0 GPA into college I’m worthless, I’m too white and middle class to get into a Tier 1 University without AA to fall back on.
- University is always a valuable choice.
- You are special despite doing nothing of particular merit whatsoever and you are entitled to better treatment than others. When you fail to receive this, it is everyone else’s fault.
- It doesn’t matter which degree I pick so I guess choosing the easiest one will give me exactly the same chances in life later on. It’s my right to demand exorbitant salaries from evil capitalists for the making the choice to study the stupidest shit.
- Student debt isn’t real debt.
- Credit cards are like free money. I’ll definitely be rich in the future so who cares.
- My parents will have the money to bail me out forever even if they can’t afford to retire.
- I can wait for my fertility to dwindle to have children because their health won’t suffer, I’ll be equally capable of carrying or caring for them and IVF is a guaranteed success.
- Every STD is curable and abortion has no negative side effects whatsoever.
- My parents will support everything I do, even when they didn’t support one another long enough to avoid divorce. If they were married in the first place. Single parenthood is equal to a couple, in spite of being exactly half of the natural input.
- Companies reward loyalty and working from the bottom of the ladder up is an option in this century. If I am not CEO in a year, the place is mistreating me because I am eternally worthy.
- Be yourself and anyone who doesn’t love that doesn’t deserve you anyway. This opinion doesn’t make you a backward asshole, it is because you are inherently special and never need to change.
- Social media proves how beloved I am. It isn’t a censored echo chamber.
- You cannot be ignorant if your reality-avoiding teachers told you differently.
- People who boomeranged away from the real world straight back to school again aren’t immature and mentally deficient, they’re flawless, solid sources of advice which affect the trajectory of your entire life.
- My value is not in what I can prove, but in what I feel in my heart, placed there by sycophants like the marketing media.
- I am owed a living by the world/Government/parents and this is not at all parasitical, I should be proud to live in a society which does this. They are blessed by my company and any question of self-sufficiency is an unjust affront to my ego.
- Lifestyle choices have no repercussions or consequences and any form of those are in fact oppression despite my adult choice in the matter.
- The economy cannot get worse, let’s party instead of doing anything productive.
- I am not limited by things beyond my control (race, sex, religion, IQ) which become worse (age). I am limited by a lack of self-belief.
- Identity trumps everything. I am not a person with X, who Y. I am X, Y person. Except nationalism, patriotism or exclusive pride. That would be evil.
- There is no such thing as good and evil because nothing I do could ever be wrong.
- Nothing about the past requires gratitude. All things we do now are superior. I am superior in intelligence to everyone who came before me without exception. My beliefs are proof. None of them could possibly go wrong and my ancestors couldn’t have had good reasons for being such bigots.
- I have no problems. The problem is the world and every problem in the world is artificial and hence, can be fixed. I will save the world, I was destined to.
- I have a right to the best. Food, clothes, location, holidays.
- I can display moral superiority by spouting the correct opinions but needn’t live by them. This hypocrisy doesn’t inflict deep damage by dissonance, it is freedom.
- There is no such thing as freedom for someone who disagrees with me. How dare they? Don’t they know who I am? I must punish them.
Expect the MI rates to rise astronomically. Sadly, the professionals have no incentive to help, dragging it out into a lifelong identity.
For a cheerier subject take: http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html